The presence of the Indonesian Postal Museum located not far from Gedung Sate is inseparable from the history of Indonesia Post Company. The museum was present since the era of the Dutch East Indies, precisely in 1933 with a name of PTT (Post Telegraph and Telephone) Museum, placed the right wing area of PTT office building. The building of the museum was built on July 27, 1920 on a 706 m2 area and designed by the architect Ir. J. Berger and Leutdsgebouwdienst. The building was inspired from Italian Renaissance architectural style and became a place to collect stamps from various countries.
The World War II in late 1941, Japanese occupation, and the revolutionary movements h led the PTT Museum to be neglected, and even its existence was almost forgotten.
In order to perform its function as a museum again, in 1980 the Board of Directors of Perum Pos dan Giro form a committee to revive the presence of PTT Museum. Coinciding with the 38th anniversary of Postel, on September 27 1983, the museum was officially opened by the Minister of Tourism and Telecommunications, Achmad Tahir and was named the Post and Giro Museum.
As one of the Technical Implementation Unit of Perum Pos dan Giro, the Post and Giro Museum collected some objects that have historic value along the history of Indonesian Postal Enterprise during the Dutch East Indies era, the Japanese occupation, and independence era, until nowadays in the form of pictures, mock-ups, painting, catalogueues and other postal equipments.
Along with the development of the postal company, commencing on June 20 1995, the name and the status of the company were changed from Perusahaaan Umum Pos dan Giro to be PT. Pos Indonesia (ltd). As consequences, the name of Post and Giro Museum was changed to Indonesian Postal Museum. The Roles and functions undertaken by the Indonesian Postal Museum were not only as a place of collection, but also as a reserach facility, education, documentation, information services, as well as special tourist attraction.
Indonesian Postal Museum opened free of charge to public every day from 09.00-16.00 except on national holidays. Before reaching the entrance to the museum, there is a half-body-sized statue of Indonesian PTT Father, Mas Soeharto which was made in 1983 by the famous artists Ad. Pirous